I only recently started using Instagram and I must say it’s such a great source of inspiration from pole dancers all over the world! A few months ago there is this new move called the ‘garbage grinder’, I kid you not, that was pretty popular on Instagram. I’m not 100% sure who came up with the move but found a demo on Cleo’s Rock N Pole by Brynn Route.
Steps to get into garbage grinder
- Start in a downward dog position with heels in one line with the pole. Begin with feet together on one side of the pole.
- Lift the inside leg up around hip level, bend the knee and grip onto the pole. As you do so, tilt your hips down towards the floor away from the outside leg.
- Once your knee grip is secure, lift the outside leg up and over your head.
- Straighten your bent leg and extend into a split.
- To exit, bend the leg that is on the pole to re-grip and gently bring the outside leg back on the floor.
Tips for the garbage grinder
- Take some time to figure out how far your hands should be on the floor when you begin the pose, as well as how high to hook your knee.
- Moist skin (aka slightly sweaty) is ideal to grip onto the pole. If you’re having trouble gripping the pole, do some warm up exercise or use some grip aids.
- It’s important to tilt your hips away from the outside leg so you are secure in your knee grip.
- As you get more comfortable bringing the outside leg over, try doing this with straight legs and pointed toes!
- This is not necessarily the smoothest move to transition into and out of, so practice some combos to make it flow.